A forest in a jar can be the perfect way to make an eco-friendly and at the same time original decoration for your home. Check how to make it at home without spending a fortune on expensive accessories.
How to make a forest in a jar?
Making a forest in a jar itself is very simple. All you need is a few moments of free time to create your own little ecosystem.
To make a forest in a jar you need:
- a large jar – it’s best to choose one with a wide opening so you can freely place flowers and soil in it,
- about 2-3 cups of all-purpose soil for flowers,
- a glass of activated carbon, which prevents the growth of fungi and mold in a closed environment,
- moss – this one you can buy at the florist, do not collect it in the forest, because it is protected,
- selected plants (they should have the same need for water, otherwise one plant may be overwatered and the other will wither due to lack of sufficient water),
- expanded clay.
Arranging the plants in the jar is very simple and does not require great skills from you
- At the bottom of the jar pour expanded clay so that it is at a height of about 2-3 cm. This will keep the soil from rotting away from the roots and give the plants adequate moisture.
- Another layer should be activated carbon, which protects the roots from rotting and harmful fungi.
- At this point you can also decide whether to put a layer of decorative pebbles in the jar. You can collect them yourself or buy ready-made stones, e.g. from a decor store.
- Then sprinkle out the all-purpose soil, which you should first loosen with your hands. It should be aerated and soft so that it is easier to put the flowers into it.
- Gently place the plants in the soil in small holes and cover them so that the roots are covered. Plants are usually bought already planted in pots. Before planting them, gently clean them from the soil and plant them in their new location with care so as not to break the stems or roots.
- It is worth putting moss or, for example, pebbles on the ground. Expanded clay will also work well as it looks less ornamental but makes sure the plants get enough water.
Remember to press the previous one with your fingers before you put the next layer. To make the jar look more interesting you can also place seashells, natural stones and twigs in it. It will surely look beautiful. It looks great on the windowsill or on the table as a Christmas decoration. You can make such a forest in a jar also with the help of children who love such creative games.
Closed or open jar?
There are two ways to make a forest in a jar. Some people close the jar by watering the plants once before. This creates a closed loop in the jar – a mini ecosystem where the constant evaporation of water allows the plants to thrive and grow. The second way is to leave the jar open and water the plants once in a while. If you don’t quite know how to create the right ecosystem for the plants inside the jar, it’s better to leave it open. Otherwise you might inadvertently dry out the plants or over water them and they will start to rot.
There are also very interesting suggestions for arranging jars with a small ecosystem inside. Open glass balls with plants can be hung from the ceiling at different heights, which is an ideal way to decorate the living room or bedroom in an original way. Importantly, plants in jars do not need to be watered often, which is a huge plus, especially for people who do not have much time to take care of flowers, but love green additions to the house.
What kind of flowers can be placed in a jar?
There are some plants that are perfect for making a forest in a jar with them.
- climbing ficus,
These types of plants can be combined in one jar because they need similar watering. This way, none of the flowers will suffer if they are watered more or less. You can also ask for help from a salesperson in a garden store, who will certainly advise you on what flowers will be suitable
Photo source: Designed by Freepik